the temple

I like this photo because it's sort of like time travel.

stateanddearborn
I don't know much about the older building, except that it houses an anachronistic Sears department store on the first four levels and a bunch of empty offices on the upper levels. It looks to date to the same era as the Carson Pirie Scott building across State Street, which would put it at 1899, although I'd bet it was a built a few years later. I could see into the upper floors of the building from my old residence in the Chicago Building, and they were mostly empty offices and rusty stairwells. The cornerstone of the newer building, One South Dearborn, claims 2005, so I'd bet there's a hundred years between these two buildings. When I took this photo there was this group of thirty-something secretaries huddled in the alcove smoking, and one of them asked me if I painted, and if I would make a painting for her. I told her i was an excellent painter and gave her my number, but she never called. She could probably tell I was full of shit.


anapple
I like sunday afternoons with roommates baking apple pies and me learning how to play the mandolin and all the windows open for the first time in six months. I like Madison and her puns like apple pi. I like not having to kill time, I like being satisfied just looking out the window and seeing people on the corner and kids playing in the street. As Jayme said once, don't think of it as killing time. Just don’t think of it that way. She’s right.

I like mathematicians. I like them because they always wear shirts that look like graph paper, and sometimes they make beautiful music, especially if they're also canadians, like Dan Snaith...



I also like this video and this documentary of the same guy.

I like not being cynical and not being a jerk but sometimes this is hard for me. I like being chipper.

asunset
aface

I like geology because it's one of the best story tellers we have, and I like the megafloods in the northwest that must have been amazing to see.

I like Logan Square. I like Pilsen. I like Chicago; a lot.

I like making lists of things I like.

No comments: