How it feels to be something on

I'm not sure why blogs seem to come and go. This is my fifth blog in as many years, and they've all followed the same trajectory- in a creative fit i'll start one, spend lots of time designing it to look half-way not shitty, update feverishly for a time, then get bored with it, then comes that strange embarrassment phase where I wish I'd never started it, then I delete it.

well I'm not going to do that with this blog, yet, although I've already stopped updating very often. I sold my little digital camera last week because I was broke and figured my digital SLR was enough for one man, but it's so big that I never take it anywhere- hence no pictures these days. Oh well.

On the bright side, this week is rather fantastic. Tuesday was the joint BFA/MFA reading at the Joan Flasch Artist's Book Collection, which scared the shit out of me since I was collaborating with someone I'd never met, and his work was the exact opposite of mine- he had these odd poem things that were loud, screamy, almost rap, almost scat, almost slam, and I had my whimpy little regular poems. We read side by side, alternating after each poem, so this exaggerated the contrast. Surprisingly I think people liked it.

Then tonight at SUGS I'm in a show about the suburbs, mostly painting and photography, and then there's my poem- in vinyl on the wall. The curator called me last week freaking out because even at one inch letters the poem was 14 feet long. 14 feet! talk about compensating...

Plus we finally broke 70 degrees for the first time in half a year. That's the third longest span of sub 70 degree weather in chicago's history.

And the blue line was fucked on tuesday, people were trapped for hours, smoke, evacuations, thousands of angry passengers yelling, fun fun. The funny thing is that I'm really glad stuff like that happens, it brings the city together and shows us how much we need public transportation, and also how fun it is for half the city to be three hours late for everything.

I owe my roommate a third of a bottle of cheap champagne and some grape soda on top of that, but let me say- yay for grape soda mimosas before class.

Oh, and one last thing, my friend mike and his awesome awesome awesome band the Jack Trades called me up last night and asked me to design them a flier. Thoughts?

jacktradestwo

No comments: