Proof I don't really live here/nobody knows who Darwin is.

Living in an urban, yuppie, hipster enclave like the northside of Chicago has downsides (duh). For instance, sometimes I find myself so out of touch with real America that I'm truly embarassed. Reading that less than 40% of Americans believe in evolution is one of those moments. Furthermore, almost half of Americans don't know who Darwin is. Wow. Happy Birthday Darwin? Gallup Poll

Honestly, I'm shocked by these numbers. And I'm embarassed because I just don't know anyone in the majority. How can I be so out of touch?

1 comment:

Jeni Crone said...

I can't sleep, and you may as well know that your blog has an audience.

From the time I was fourteen up until last spring I worked for a program in Cincinnati called ArtWorks, which employs teens during the summer and occasionally during the school year to work on various art projects within the community. I guess it was the summer before I started college. I was working with a girl named Christina. She went to St. Ursula Academy, one of the better Catholic high schools in Cincinnati. I don't know how it came up, but I ended up having to explain evolution to her. She had never heard of this concept. When I was finished she said something to the extent of, "Hold Up! You saying we come from monkeys?!"

somewhat related,
I live not to far from the Creation Museum, which is in Petersburg,KY, I'm guessing twenty minutes. I honestly had never heard of Petersburg until they plopped the Creation Museum there.Once I was driving around in the dark, getting lost on purpose and I ended up in front of it. At night with the lights and the fence around it it looked like a concentration camp. Rather creepy.